Thursday, April 2, 2009

Puli varunne Puli varunne!!!

If at all there was a possibility that I was not a firm believer in Murphy's  law ,even the possibility of the existence of such a possibility has been thrown out of the window due to one of my recent experience with THE LAW

The GD that was part of TRW(that would be technical report writing..)was looming.This is how the GD  works.The whole class was divided into groups.Every Friday morning we have the tutorials during which  the GD would be held.Although I have no illusions about my capability at public speaking,I don’t consider myself a mug either .So logically I was not apprehensive about my chances at the GD.In fact  I was even  bullish about my prospects.

 For people like me who don’t believe in attending classes or sleeping before 4,waking up and dragging yourself for a 8 am class is like mission impossible.Anyways  what allows me to do a la Ethan hunt are responsible neighbours,a highly efficient and responsible group leader and above all the greatest invention mankind has ever known:the  snooze button .You see what the snooze button does is that it gives you more options.Where the decision making process was binary ,what snooze button has done is that it has introduced third option:a delay option.Its like an obedient servant who comes and says

” Monsieur ,you probably would want to wake up”

 “GET LOST”

 “Shall I call you after 5 minutes”

 “Yeah that would be perfect ..now piss off“.

Anyways every Thursday night(or Friday morning,effectively) ,there is great deal of pressure to wake up .Hence its  infuriating   when Ma’ m would say “Today its XXX groups turn”(we are( XXX)’ i.e anything but XXX).The whole exercise got to the point where waking up at 7 30 on Friday was like cake walk to me,(  but hey  waking up at 11 is still not !!!).....

(couple of weeks later...)

“Hey, our GD is on 3rd April”...perfect!!! no more pressure cooker Fridays

(couple of days later)

.The beauty of a ‘morning nap’ is that you dream a lot with the awareness that you are dreaming!!Well a ‘morning nap’ is not like oversleeping .Its when you wake up early enough,and again  go to sleep at around 10,basically that part of morning which is bordering into the disputed territories of afternoon(in BITS  it is disputed)) So here I was, enjoying my ‘palliurakkam’ in MoA(Morning occupied Afternoon! Any resemblance with MoU is regretted).I felt a vibration in my stomach,and the thing with dream is that whatever happens in real time would somehow be a part of the dream,I would not be explaining how the vibrations of the phone manifested in my dreams J.Finally I picked it up,”Dude..your GD is happening..come fast” Three letters came out of my mouth:WTF.It was not a Friday and we had our GD fixed on 3rd...then what kind of ma***tharam   is this???I put on a shirt and ran to the class,a customary glance at the cell showed”3 missed calls 2 messages”..shit!!! All the messages had the word GD and lot of exclamations!!!

 I reached the class .

One of the friends said “The topic is Success versus satisfaction” “how much time have I got before it starts” 

“Dude ,the chair at the extreme end is yours”.Yeah the GD had started and the chairs were put in the customary circular manner.

....“So Joe is absent.huh?”

“No ma’m “

..........................

“Try not to become a man of success ..but become a man of value..this was said by Albert Einstein”...people were  literally turning it on,some were even giving long speeches ...and  my mind was completely blank and it was my turn to speak...I just said something of which I had absolutely no clue of ,I was desperately hoping that the timekeeper would come up with those magic words”TIME UP”....because of the lack of content and because of inability to blabber on ..my show came to an abrupt end.

When my second turn came I had already decided that I would blindly oppose whatever the other person said..........”and therefore  I believe that there should not be any long term plan.”Dachshund** had finally came to a stop ...It  was my turn to speak next,and  the following were my opening lines:

I think what dachshund just said was something close to absolute rubbish!”take that for courtesy..At the back of my mind I knew that you cannot use phrases like “I disagree” and what did I come up with!!....wasn’t that a masterstroke?

 

My only hope was that I had mumbled something and people didn’t actually hear it.Out went even the faintest glimmer of that hope when the I heard one of my group members giggling,that was followed by  the entire class doing Oohs and aahs!!

One of those occasions where you dearly wished you could take back those words....but the thing with words is that once it’s out there...there is very little one can do about it...!The worst thing:I didn’t even hear the words of the guy whose ideas I was supposedly refuting vehemently.

After the GD was over Ma’m was giving her comments..I knew what was coming  .......

“ You would never be successful in a GD...you have an attitude problem”

I nodded in agreement  ...

Let me just illustrate how Murphy's law was in play here

1.The GD which was supposed to be held on April 3rd was held on a random date

2.Of all the days , I had to sleep at 11 o’ clock on that very day

3 My phone is rarely in silent mode.That day it was.

4 .It could have been anyone else’ GD ..

5.Normally I have to repeat whatever I say  because  I have this habit of mumbling  when I speak...but whatever I said that day was crystal clear

On the lighter side I was about to say “..absolute bullshit”..but maybe not everything  would not go totally wrong!!

**Names have been changed to protect the identity of the individuals involved.

 

3 comments:

  1. :D .... good writin...still laughing... :D
    i hope more such stuff happen to u... :P

    frankly i hv no frikkin idea wat a murphy law is :P ... bt man im glad of one thing...
    bettr u than me .. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.. murphy's law was on us that day

    btw, what does the title mean? u'll hav to translate this also for me. :)

    and that was some naming u did. replacing his name with dachshund !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. all hail murphy.. god knows how he came up with that law... it was a gud read... laughed a lot.. the snooze analogy was really awesome..

    ReplyDelete